notsocommoncents - Common sense essays on marketing and business strategy. Occasionally a tragic comedy starring Corporate America. Learn more
Most Recent Essays
- Business lessons from a Baltimore childhood
- Growing up in Baltimore, I got in a lot of fights – more than I’d like to admit, but probably fewer than my memory serves. One particular fight, at age twelve, stands out in my memory. In my neighborhood there was a pecking order. And I, a skinny kid with an undersized stature, needed to [...] Read more – ‘Business lessons from a Baltimore childhood’.
- Game Theory: How Sony Gave PS3 Another Year of Profits with a Simple CES Announcement
- Way back in the 20th century, 1994 to be exact, a price war was raging between the Daily News and the New York Post for the price of New York’s Daily Tabloid Newspaper. The lessons of this exercise in game theory provides insight into the ongoing console wars between Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. In addition, [...] Read more – ‘Game Theory: How Sony Gave PS3 Another Year of Profits with a Simple CES Announcement’.
- On Freakonomics Part 1
- A few weekends ago, I watched the movie version of Freakonomics (available on Netflix instant streaming here). Except for the film’s final section, “Freakonomics: The Movie” covers exactly the same topics as the first book in a more digestible format.The final section covers a test conducted at a Chicago Heights High School, exploring the question: [...] Read more – ‘On Freakonomics Part 1’.